Skip to content

Storm Sewer & Flood Modeling

Welcome to the Innovyze Stormwater, Sewer, and Flood modeling feedback page.

This forum is now locked as we transition to https://innovyzefeedback.autodesk.com
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

48 results found

1. Guidance (including examples) and solver assumptions in ICM help

Could the ICM help be refreshed/updated and include more examples and/or details of the physics / assumptions / settings used by the simulation solver? Some examples below
    - Orifice control – Technical paper “Orifices” (June 2005) is not available anymore. Could this be updated and re-introduced as it was valuable guidance
    - Head / discharge curves – “The overall relationship between discharge and head in both directions is represented as a data table of up to 15 discharge values at head values equally spaced by a specified increment.” It seems that more than 15 values can be used and not…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Admin →

The orifice control paper is an older CS/SD paper that was not included in the InfoWorks ICM.  We can look into updating that for InfoWorks ICM.

The Head/Discharge curve statement appears to be a remnant of HydroWorks.  InfoWorks can have an arbitrary number of entries in a head-discharge curve and they do not need to be evenly spaced by head.

2. ICMLive Operator Client - graphs show alert themes consistently

Currently, alert ghe graphs are dynamic and the trace colours set in the template are just used on the traces in order as they are added to the graph.

It is important alert themes are consistent so they communicate flood warnings in a clear. In some projects, the colours of the flood alerts are regulated by law. Adding in confusion by having the colours change creates real risks of the wrong alerts being disseminated.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. "Limiting discharge" field/functionality for subcatchments

For large storm events, not all subcatchment runoff will be able to enter the piped system - inflows will be limited by the size (and condition) of roof downpipes, road gullies, etc. Therefore, I would like for ICM to be able to 'cleanly' deal with this for 1D-only models. There is a work-around where you can route subcatchments through dummy nodes and dummy orifices, making use of the "Limiting discharge" field - but this results in a messy model, where you will likely need hundreds or even thousands of dummy objects. It would be much better if you could directly…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Hydrology  ·  Admin →
  4. Export a Scenario

For XPSWMM, I would like to have a feature for the scenario manager to export a scenario as a standalone model. Some times, the end user doesn't want to see all the scenarios.

It will be similar to ICM, you can export a scenario as a standalone network.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Easily break into a conduit with a new node

To be able to insert a node (manhole) onto an existing conduit, and have the conduit split at the new node. the node chamber floor would be at the invert of the conduit at that point and that same invert would be assigned to the replacement conduits at that node. The upstream and downstream inverts of the conduit are to remain the same.

I see this as being a very useful tool for designing drainage layouts where it becomes obvious the original layout needs additional pits to meet the required capture rates.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Admin →
  6. FEH13 Peak intensity fix

Fix required for over estimation of summer peak intensities within FEH13 design rainfall brought on by a smaller timesteps being used and not a minimum % of the total duration.

Also to separate out the Areal Reduction Factor and Seasonal Correction Factors for clarity of the data.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Rainfall  ·  Admin →
  7. Can you add a proposed building elevation directly into the ICM model?

I received the ICM model from the City of San Marcos and was wondering if I can add a proposed building elevation directly into the model to see how the floodplain reacts?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to run ICM models on older versions of the engine

As a user, I'd like to install the latest version of the ICM UI but run my models using older versions of the engine. This would allow me to work on projects whose results have been generated by previous versions of the engine without having to install the UI just for that project.

Otherwise, when working on projects for different customers I have to install numerous versions of ICM. This quite time consuming, especially when users are restricted from installing software by IT policies.

Ideally, the engine list would only show versions where Innovyze made changes which could impact on…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With the release of InfoWorks ICM 2023 and moving forward, the database version will no longer be tied to the UI version.   E.g. with the 2023.1 release update, one can open a 2023.0 database, and run the 2023 engine while missing out on the updated elements in the 2023.1 update.  

9. As a Company would like to store models in a Workgroup Db

provide workgroup functionality to allow multiple models to be stored within a workgroup database for colaboration across the business

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Pipes and Pits

How to link import gis pipe layer with inverts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Admin →
  11. As a user I need to represent and optimise for throttled discharge from subcatchments to node or conduit objects

Many cities are limiting maximum stormwater dicharge to drainage networks.
    ICM should include more efficient modelling regarding
    - Limiting stormwater flows from subcatchments via throttle requirement (e.g. 0-10 l/s*ha subcatchment), suggesting a new subcatchment data field.
    - And quickly analyse how much stormwater (e.g. 10 m³ ) needs to be managed/retained on each subscatchment site via SUDS such as greenroofs, swales, etc. in order to meet and optimise throttle requirements.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hydrology  ·  Admin →
  12. Being able to send ICM Live alerts to a specific Table/DB

Can the system export all the alert lists generated by all models (from one deployment manifest) into a single table or database that can then be exploited by a visualisation software (i.e PowerBI).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Live Modeling  ·  Admin →
  13. Directory structure on Workgroup Data Server

We are working with more and more people, projects and countries on the same Workgroup Data Server, as the cost of a new server for each country are quite high. Unfortunately, there is no way to somehow make a directory structure on the Workgroup Data Server so we can arrange things by country for example. For now, a country prefix in front of a project works, but with hundreds of projects on the server this is not optimal.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  pascal.lang responded

This is now available with the 2021.1 release of InfoWorks ICM. Please do reach out with any feedback.

14. License management functions

As ICM is fundamentally a workgroup environment, so shared across multiple offices and multiple users, we need to be able to understand license usage of user interfaces and simulation engines. We need ICM to log usage so we can then develop tools to interpret that information or build this into ICM so we can see usage. We often have instances when users cannot get licenses but there is no way to log this so we can establish a business case for purchasing more licenses. Similar with simulation engines we need to be able to report usage to demonstrate the need…

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

Marking this idea completed.   With the introduction of the Innovyze License Administrator, users and administrators can get license usage.

With named-user licensing in the Autodesk subscription world, including the introduction in March 2022 of Flex Access, accessing InfoWorks ICM is far easier and in reach to more customers. 

15. Support for overlapping roughness zones in 2D

I have a model that has masses of roughness polygons. invariably some of these overlap. I also have overlapping roughness zones where I have 'donut' features. My life would be SO much easier if meshing didn't fail when the roughness zones overlap. Can we p[ease have the restriction on these relaxed? If we have to specify a priority then that would be acceptable. It doesn't seem to be a problem with HEC-RAS or TUFLOW.... :-)

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Variable 2D roughness at low depths

When applying direct rainfall onto 2D zones traditional roughness values do not typically apply, especially where the depths of water on the mesh element are very small. Often the workaround is to apply much higher roughness values in order to 'slow the flow'. It would be helpful to have a depth varying roughness that could be phased out as the water depth increases. This would put ICM in line with how TUFLOW and Flood Modeller Pro deal with the problem.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Admin →
  17. cut polygon

It would be nice to have a function in ICM to cut a polygon into 2 pieces by 'drawing' a line Select the polygon object, start the function, then click along the line you want the polygon to be cut into 2 pieces. Both of the resulting pieces should have the properties of the original one.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

I believe what you are looking for may already be feasible using existing functionality. If there is a polygon with a general line object intersecting it, then you can.

1. Select both objects
    2. Go to Model > Geometry > Crop overlapping selected objects
    3. Reference the entire selection in both drop targets
    4. Press “Ok” and the result should be two polygon objects as per the line intersection

There are some additional options here which can be enabled or disabled as part of the process. If this feature does not meet your needs, then happy to consider further enhancements to it, but for a modelling solution hopefully the geometry functions are already fairly advanced.

18. Excel autosum and average in the Grid window

It would be useful to get an autosum of a selection in the grid window at the bottom of the screen in much the same way Excel does. I know this can be done using the Overview function. But would be quicker and easier if it appeared in the panel at the bottom. i.e. if I was to select the population of a few subcatchments I would quickly be able to see the population. Perhaps also, if I changed scenarios I might be able to view changes in population between growth scenarios. Not essential, but nice to have.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Select which result variables you want to save

The more functionalities become available in ICM, the larger results files grow and the less manageable they become (especially when running longer time series). In most cases people are only interested in very specific results (e.g. depth, flows, ... and not such things as all the detailed runoff components). So if one would be able to select at the simulation schedule which variables were to be stored), results file sizes (and hence results querying !) could be reduced enormeously.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Productivity  ·  Admin →
  20. rectangular flap valve

To avoid endless work around discusions on how to model a rectengular flap valve when only circular flap valves can be implemented in a model, having the option to model with rectangular flap valves would be verry usefull.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Admin →

This is now available with the 2021.1 release of InfoWorks ICM. Please do reach out with any feedback.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base